February is Pet Dental month!
You clearly recognize the importance and benefits of having a mouth full of healthy teeth and gums, so why the lack of interest when it comes to your furry children’s chompers? Like oral health problems in humans, a lack of regular and attentive care when it comes to your pets’ teeth can have serious implications. Emerging information from veterinary studies has associated heart, kidney and liver problems in addition to other systemic health conditions, to pets with poor oral health.
Signs and Symptoms of Dental Disease:
- Bad breath
- Red, swollen and or bleeding gums
- Yellow-brown deposits like cement along the gum line or on the crowns
- Becoming a picky eater
- Eating on one side and dropping food
- Rubbing face on the ground, pawing at the mouth and drooling
- Personality change, irritability and depression
Pet parents often underestimate the steps that need to be taken with their pet’s teeth in order to help maintain good health. To ensure that oral health problems don’t interfere with your pet’s quality of life, pets should have their teeth brushed on a regular basis.
For the best dental care results, try the following tips and tricks:
- Ask one of the Healthy Pet Care Specialists at your neighbourhood Global Pet Foods store to demonstrate the proper technique for daily brushing.
- Never use human toothpaste, as the foaming agents can pose health risks to pets.
- If you are not able to brush your dog’s teeth, there are other options when you’re in between vet visits. Consider using oral rinses made especially for dogs. Slurp ‘N Fresh and Tropiclean, two brands that you’ll find in your Global Pet Foods stores, are ideal for keeping the mouths of dogs and cats healthier.
- While many brands of dry pet food incorporate dental benefits, incorporating special dental treats formulated to reduce tartar, plaque build-up, and stains is another option for pet parents to be proactive in preventing oral health problems.
You will find a wide variety of new and improved dental products for cats and dogs in your neighbourhood Global Pet Foods store. Our Healthy Pet Care Specialists are happy to help you! To find a Global Pet Foods store near you, visit www.globalpetfoods.com.
We want to see your pet’s smile!